Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Day in the Life...

I have been asked many times (mostly by men, mind you) what I do all day long. Most of the people are definitely asking in a "You must be bored to tears" kind of way. Others are simply asking to see if I enjoy it and/or to see if they might enjoy it one day.

I've often thought about keeping my hours and punching a time clock as soon as I hear "MOMMMMMMMMYYYYYY" coming from the crib down the hall at 7:30am and then punching out as soon as Carter walks in the door (because sista I am OFF DUTY when Daddy crosses the threshold!).

But lo, keeping my hours would take up too much time and I have other, very important things to tend to.

Obviously, during wake hours, my time consists of preparing meals, feeding meals, cleaning up meals, playing, drinking lots of coffee, refereeing, separating, and entertaining chillins.

HOWEVER, when that sweet hour of 1pm(ish) rolls around, I send babies to Dreamland and it's Mommy-time! Herein lies the 2-3 hour window of opportunity that my question-askers want to know about....What DO you do exactly?

Typically it begins with a little email time, a little silent blog reading, a checky check of the news to make sure there are no hurricanes coming, and a catch-up on hollywood gossip.

Then I play with money. Whoever invented online banking is a GENIUS because that little "transfer funds" button is so fun to play with.

Then I take a stroll through the house to see what should be cleaned up (note: key word is "should"). I decide if it's mandatory (typically it's not) and act accordingly.

For example, during today's stroll, I meandered through the garage/playroom and noticed the upheaval left by either Mr.Biggles or his cohorts Red & Blondie. I labeled it a "mandatory" and acted accordingly.

It would have been a travesty to leave them girls nekkid as they were. What with 2 gentlemen in the house whose eyes I must protect. I even did their hair so they wouldn't feel so disgraced.

Call it a day. I'm punching out.

3 comments:

Jana & Jason Harwell said...

Your day sounds remarkably like mine...except I'm at the YL office in the morning. I feel like I spend a good bit of time thinking about things that "should" be cleaned! ha ha ha

For example, yesterday's mandatory cleaning was the smoothie that Mo Frank poured in her lap at lunch and wanted to "help" clean up.

Love the new photos on the layout! Love you, too...

Melissa said...

this is such a great post!! wow..amen to ever word!! I get asked that a lot as well--I feel like I should have this list ready to hand out of exactly what we do throughout our days. Cook, counselor, banker, nurse, etc....the list goes on and on. Today I gathered my plastic bag of change (out of our change jar) so we could get some lunch out...it was the best feeling having the amount needed so I didn't have to use money from the ole checkbook!

Can't wait to get into the world of Barbies with Ella---I remember I used to cut all my barbies hair really short, then get upset because they didn't look the "same"!!

Unknown said...

Barbies? Are you kidden' me? If I had the energy to send you a picture, it would be of lizards, spiders, and BB guns!!! And sista, I teach first grade and get asked, "How hard can it be, they are six?" I support anyone who stays home with children...You have no escape :) Me? I just boss other parents' children around.