Saturday, August 18, 2007

Living in the Now

For most of my life, I have always wondered what was around the corner...what was next in line for my life. In high school, I always wondered what college would be like. In college, I wondered what the "real world" would be like. In my first real world job as a camp director, I wondered how long I would stay at that job and which job(s) would follow. And, of course, I always wondered when marriage and kids would come and what that would be like.

Now that I've hit all of those "milestones", I find myself no longer wondering much about the future. Of course, there are thoughts of adding another (or two!) little rugrats to the Akins clan, or what they'll be like when they get older, or when that day will come that Carter and I become millionaires (ha!)...but I really don't dwell on those futuristic things like I've done in the past. And it's not that I'm done hitting major milestones, it's just that I'm not looking for the big ones anymore. I've become very much a "today" person. My boy waves bye-bye for the first time...a perfect day. My girl asks me to snuggle with her so we can watch Meerkat Manor...a perfect day. My husband comes home from work gloating about how he loves his job (finally!! woohoo!!)...a perfect day. I can't even imagine life in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years. And if I did spend my time wondering about the future, I would miss out on so many todays.

No comments: