Friday, July 31, 2009

The Next Food Network Star

If there is one thing I can't stand about my cable company, it's that we can't pick and choose what channels we want. I feel it's a far better option to just charge $1 per channel and allow people to select a la carte. However, last I checked, they weren't asking for my opinion. So I'm stuck paying $30 a month AND NOT GETTING THE FOOD NETWORK!

A travesty.

Because of this, we are resigned to creating the live versions of our favorite Food Network shows. I, of course, am the master chef on all episodes and my big 4 year old is the sous chef. Our audience typically consists of 2 3-month olds and the occasional 2 year old - though most tapings of episodes occur during his naptime since he tries to eat all the ingredients before they're cooked.

As the master chef, I take on different identities. Most days I'm Paula Dean, but occasionaly I'll become Giada de Laurentiis or Sandra Lee. The babies prefer Paula Dean. Must be the comforting southern twang.

My sous chef is the best in the business. She organizes, pours, and mixes all ingredients, even joining in on the "script" with her own funny antics. She is a hit with the audience every time.

This afternoon, though, she'd had enough.

When I asked her to help me bake some brownies, she huffed, "Ugh, I have to do EVERYTHING around here. I cook, I clean, I feed babies. I just need a break!"

Hmmmm. Wonder where she heard that from.

1 comment:

Kara said...

She's a typical superwoman, doing it all, and being under appreciated. Sometimes we do just need a break, LK. It's okay to say it out loud.

She's a hoot, Suz. But then again, you know that.

Good luck with the cable. When they heed your wisdom, lemme know. I'll be waitin.